Group History

See how we have evolved

The Gaffery

In 1926 the Group called the wooden hut next to the Church home for many years until the 1970s, when it was decided that a new brick built multi use building would be constructed in its place, the Group having fundraised and received various donations began to demolish the dilapidated wooden hut.

It was decided that a name was needed for the new “hut”, the Group Scout Master (Group Scout Leader today) George Albert Fenner (GAF), suggested the use of his nickname for his camping HQ “The Gaffery”, and so it was opened in 1976 and was decorated inside with various animal heads on the walls including the Buffalo head from which the Group now uses for its logo.

in 1994 The Gaffery was hit by Arson attack, the internal structure was devastated, but the outer building remained in good condition. The Group temporarily moved next door into the Church hall which the repairs were carried out and in 1996 was reopened, with the interior almost the exact same as before minus the animal heads which were burnt in the fire. Some years later the Group enquired to the Church about constructing a path from the entrance to the Gaffery to Atholl Road to make it easier to move camping equipment to and from the Gaffery. Upon the Church’s discovery of the lease, they found out that they owned the land on which the Gaffery was situated, this led the founding of a new lease for the Scouts for 99 years.

In the early 2000’s the Church hall was found to have subsidence and the cost of repair was too great for the Church to front, so they proposed a new building to encompass the ground where The Gaffery stood and build a community centre with a Housing Association having several flats on top. 

The St Paul’s Community Centre was opened in 2005 where the Group have called their end “The Gaffery” (Bottom right)

The Group

When the Group was established in 1926 it began with just the Scout section, it rapidly evolved with the rest of the movement to include The Wolf Cubs, then Venture Scouts (and subsequently girls) and in 1986 the Beaver Scouts.

Girls were not fully allowed into the movement until 1991 and even then it was at the leaders discretion. Gradually girls were allowed into the Group beginning with the Venture Scouts then filtering down through the sections until it was compulsory in 2007.

The Group has been represented at several World Scout Jamboree most notably in Moisson Jamboree and at 23rd World Scout Jamboree, records do show a third Jamboree in the early 30’s where a photo of Chief Scout Lord Baden Powell on horseback was taken but it is unknown if the Group attended or it was another Group.

%d bloggers like this: